Steve Kamau Steve Kamau - 1 year ago 119
MySQL Question

How can I send SQLite data from Android to a MySQL server?

I am trying to send my SQLite data with online MySQL server but to no avail. Naturally, I ran to Google and was lucky enough to find this. Apparently it's supposed to work and it does but I am not receiving the data on my server.

I know this question has been asked here and here, but I haven't been able to patch it up using the suggestions given.

Here is what I have tried. This is how I convert my SQLite data into JSON using GSON:

public String composeJSONfromSQLite() {
ArrayList<HashMap<String, String>> offlineList;
offlineList = new ArrayList<HashMap<String, String>>();
String selectQuery = "SELECT * FROM offlineTable ";
SQLiteDatabase database = this.getWritableDatabase();
Cursor cursor = database.rawQuery(selectQuery, null);
if (cursor.moveToFirst()) {
do {
HashMap<String, String> map = new HashMap<String, String>();
map.put("zip", cursor.getString(1));
map.put("phone", cursor.getString(2));
map.put("uid", cursor.getString(3));

} while (cursor.moveToNext());
Gson gson = new GsonBuilder().create();
//Use GSON to serialize Array List to JSON
return gson.toJson(offlineList);

And this is how I send it to my server:

public void syncSQLiteMySQLDB() {

AsyncHttpClient client = new AsyncHttpClient();

RequestParams params = new RequestParams();

Log.d("offline data log", loadCheckoutDB.composeJSONfromSQLite());
client.addHeader("session_id", getapikey());
client.addHeader("Content-Type", "application/json");"", params, new AsyncHttpResponseHandler() {

public void onSuccess(int statusCode, Header[] headers, byte[] responseBody) {
String s = new String(responseBody);

Log.d("response to sync", s);

try {

JSONObject obj = new JSONObject(s);

if (obj.getBoolean("success")) {

String success = obj.getString("message");
//Toast.makeText(getApplicationContext(), success, Toast.LENGTH_LONG).show();

} else {

String failure = obj.getString("message");
//Toast.makeText(getApplicationContext(), failure, Toast.LENGTH_LONG).show();

} catch (JSONException e) {




public void onFailure(int statusCode, Header[] headers, byte[] responseBody, Throwable error) {

// Toast.makeText(getApplicationContext(), "Failed to sync with server", Toast.LENGTH_LONG).show();
Log.d("sqlite sync error", String.valueOf(error));



And when I log what the JASON looks like from Android I get this format:

"zip": "325,
"phone": "78291849",
"uid": "14538177211"

But on my server I still get an empty array. What am I doing wrong?

This is how my request format should look like:

"zip": "325,
"phone": "78291849",
"uid": "14538177211"

Here is how I receive the request:

public function massData()
// offline sync

$input = Input::all();

return $input;

Answer Source

Here's how I have done it:

 public void syncSQLiteMySQLDB() {

   //i get my json string from sqlite, see the code i posted above about this
        final String json = loadCheckoutDB.composeJSONfromSQLite();

        new Thread() {
            public void run() {
                makeRequest("http://myexample/offline/api", json);


    public void makeRequest(String uri, String json) {
        try {
            HttpClient client = new DefaultHttpClient();
            HttpPost httpPost = new HttpPost(uri);
            httpPost.setEntity(new StringEntity(json));
            httpPost.setHeader("Accept", "application/json");
            httpPost.setHeader("session_id", getapikey());
            httpPost.setHeader("Content-type", "application/json");
            HttpResponse response = client.execute(httpPost);
            if (response != null) {

                String responseBody = EntityUtils.toString(response.getEntity());
                Log.d("response to sync", responseBody);
                Object jsonObj = new JSONTokener(responseBody).nextValue();
                if (jsonObj instanceof JSONObject) {
                    JSONObject jsonObject = (JSONObject) jsonObj;
                    //further actions on jsonObjects

                } else if (jsonObj instanceof JSONArray) {
                    //further actions on jsonArray
                    JSONArray jsonArray = (JSONArray) jsonObj;
        } catch (UnsupportedEncodingException e) {
        } catch (ClientProtocolException e) {
        } catch (IOException e) {
        } catch (JSONException e) {

From logging numerous responses I discovered that I was not sending content-type using my previous method. After trying out this code, it worked.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download