In my repository, I remotely track our main repository, which is bare. I've never had any problems with fetching from origin the past.
However, when I tried to remote update this morning, I got the following error:
fatal: '/users/integrator/project' does not appear to be a git repository
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
error: Could not fetch origin
git clone /users/integrator/project
Cloning into project...
fatal: failed to open '/users/integrator/project/.git/objects': No such file or directory
[lots of folders with two character long names]
I would take a look at what is in the
/users/integrator/project directory on your server. Does it look like a git repository? It needs to have at leas an
refs directory, and
HEAD file in order to be a proper git repository. Does it contain all of those?
Another thing to check is if you can log in directly to the server, and clone from the repository.
Beyond that, if you still can't figure out what's wrong, I'd recommend editing your question to show a listing of what's in
/users/integrator/project, and perhaps we can provide more help with that information.
edit based on your edit:
Given the error, it looks like you might have a
.git directory within your bare repository. You can check with
ls -a, to show hidden files as well. If this is the case, Git may be looking into the
.git directory within your repository first, instead of looking at your repository directory itself. I would take a look for that, and then move the inner
.git away or delete it to allow Git to access your actual repository.
If there isn't a
.git directory within your repo, look around for anything named
project.git in the vicinity too; Git will search a variety of path names based on the one you give it, and a bare path name without a
.git subdirectory or suffix is near the end of what it searches.