In the past I implemented C# library which, given local DateTime and lat/lon, allowed to determine a timezone and offset.
I did the following:
- downloaded shapefiles from efele.net/maps/tz,
- imported them into SQL Server,
- used them to get tzid from lat/lon,
Noda Time was used to get all necessary information about timezone, offset, and DST.
- Offset in minutes,
- UTC DateTime,
- Olson/IANA Timezone name,
- Windows Timezone name,
- bool IsDST
Now I need to reproduce this library in NodeJs + PostgreSQL. Is the suggested way of doing it:
- Import efele.net/maps/tz shapefiles to PostgreSQL,
- Use Moment TimeZone library in NodeJs similar to how I used Noda Time in C#
Are there known pitfalls, difficulties?