Gjhuizing Gjhuizing - 1 month ago 8
HTTP Question

Android - HttpEntity returns "Resource Not Found" page

I am trying to fetch and RSS feed. However, HttpEntity returns this:





Resource Not found


Resource Not Found





The address I use works fine in my browser.

MainActivity.java:

...
String URL = "http://rss.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Africa.xml";
// XML node keys
String KEY_ITEM = "item"; // parent node
String KEY_TITLE = "title";
String KEY_PUBDATE = "pubDate";
String KEY_CREDIT = "media:credit";

XMLParser parser = new XMLParser();
String xml = parser.getXmlFromUrl(URL); // getting XML
mOutput += xml;
Document doc = parser.getDomElement(xml); // getting DOM element

NodeList nl = doc.getElementsByTagName(KEY_ITEM);
// looping through all item nodes <item>
for (int i = 0; i < nl.getLength(); i++) {
// creating new HashMap
HashMap<String, String> map = new HashMap<String, String>();
Element e = (Element) nl.item(i);
// adding each child node to HashMap key => value
map.put(KEY_TITLE, parser.getValue(e, KEY_TITLE));
map.put(KEY_PUBDATE, parser.getValue(e, KEY_PUBDATE));
map.put(KEY_CREDIT, parser.getValue(e, KEY_CREDIT));
}
...


XMLParser.java:

public class XMLParser {
public String getXmlFromUrl(String url) {
String xml = null;

try {
// defaultHttpClient
DefaultHttpClient httpClient = new DefaultHttpClient();
HttpPost httpPost = new HttpPost(url);

HttpResponse httpResponse = httpClient.execute(httpPost);
HttpEntity httpEntity = httpResponse.getEntity();
xml = EntityUtils.toString(httpEntity);

} catch (UnsupportedEncodingException e) {
e.printStackTrace();
Log.d("dsgv", "UnsupportedEncodingException");
} catch (ClientProtocolException e) {
e.printStackTrace();
Log.d("dsgv", "ClientProtocolException");
} catch (IOException e) {
e.printStackTrace();
Log.d("dsgv", "IOException");
}
// return XML
return xml;
}
public Document getDomElement(String xml){
Document doc = null;
DocumentBuilderFactory dbf = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
try {

DocumentBuilder db = dbf.newDocumentBuilder();

InputSource is = new InputSource();
is.setCharacterStream(new StringReader(xml));
doc = db.parse(is);

} catch (ParserConfigurationException e) {
Log.e("Error: ", e.getMessage());
return null;
} catch (SAXException e) {
Log.e("Error: ", e.getMessage());
return null;
} catch (IOException e) {
Log.e("Error: ", e.getMessage());
return null;
}
// return DOM
return doc;
}
public String getValue(Element item, String str) {
NodeList n = item.getElementsByTagName(str);
return this.getElementValue(n.item(0));
}

public final String getElementValue( Node elem ) {
Node child;
if( elem != null){
if (elem.hasChildNodes()){
for( child = elem.getFirstChild(); child != null; child = child.getNextSibling() ){
if( child.getNodeType() == Node.TEXT_NODE ){
return child.getNodeValue();
}
}
}
}
return "";
}
}

Answer

Ok I found the answer :

RSS should be fetched using GET method, not POST.

I replaced

HttpPost httpPost = new HttpPost(url);

with

HttpGet httpGet = new HttpGet(url);
Comments