After years of being poor - mediocre PHP developer, I decided to up my game and learn a little more about modern workflows and best practice for developing web apps.
I've studied up on task runners, dependency managers, git, and cloud servers. I'm working on a PC predominantly and I've decided to settle with
- PHP and Bootstrap 3 for front end work
- MYSQL (NoSQL seemed like overkill for what I need)
- AppFog for cloud hosting with git for repository control
- gulp.js for task automation - it seemed far simpler than grunt for PHP projects
- either bower or composer for dependency management (still can't decide)
I used some of the answers on here to work out how to change the location bower, for example, places the files it downloads but I'm struggling to understand what the best practice is when you use a dependency manager (that seems to download a whole git repo) and a task runner.
Is this best practice for handling this or am I in the wrong ball park. Should I even be using a task runner with a dependency manager?