Ben Lindsay Ben Lindsay - 28 days ago 17
Ruby Question

bundle install using old rubygems version

I'm having what appears to be the exact same problem seen in a 1-month old question that no one has touched. I installed rbenv using homebrew, installed ruby 2.3.1 using

rbenv install 2.3.1
, installed jekyll and bundler using
gem install jekyll
and
gem install bundler
, then within a jekyll project, I typed
bundle install
. I got the error
Rubygems 2.0.14.1 is not threadsafe, so your gems will be installed one at a time. Upgrade to Rubygems 2.1.0 or higher to enable parallel gem installation.
When I run
gem env
, I see this:

RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 2.6.6
- RUBY VERSION: 2.3.1 (2016-04-26 patchlevel 112) [x86_64-darwin15]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /Users/lindsb/.rbenv/versions/2.3.1/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0
- USER INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /Users/lindsb/.gem/ruby/2.3.0
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: /Users/lindsb/.rbenv/versions/2.3.1/bin/ruby
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /Users/lindsb/.rbenv/versions/2.3.1/bin
- SPEC CACHE DIRECTORY: /Users/lindsb/.gem/specs
- SYSTEM CONFIGURATION DIRECTORY: /Users/lindsb/.rbenv/versions/2.3.1/etc
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86_64-darwin-15
- GEM PATHS:
- /Users/lindsb/.rbenv/versions/2.3.1/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0
- /Users/lindsb/.gem/ruby/2.3.0
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- https://rubygems.org/
- SHELL PATH:
- /Users/lindsb/.rbenv/versions/2.3.1/bin
- /usr/local/Cellar/rbenv/1.0.0/libexec
- /Users/lindsb/.local/bin
- /usr/local/sbin
- /usr/local/bin
- /Users/lindsb/.rbenv/shims
- /Users/lindsb/.local/bin
- /usr/local/sbin
- /usr/local/bin
- /usr/local/bin
- /usr/bin
- /bin
- /usr/sbin
- /sbin
- /opt/X11/bin
- /Library/TeX/texbin


I don't understand why bundler complains about Rubygems being below 2.1.0 when my Rubygems version is 2.6.6.
There is a
Gemfile
and a
Gemfile.lock
in the project directory.
Gemfile
looks like this:

source 'https://rubygems.org'

# jekyll
gem "jekyll", "3.1.1"
gem "redcarpet"

# compiling less
gem 'therubyracer'
gem 'less'

# minifying
gem 'jekyll-press'

# octokit
gem 'octokit'
gem 'netrc'

Answer

I don't know exactly what the issue was, but when I removed Gemfile.lock and reran bundle install everything worked fine. There were probably just some bad constraints or something in Gemfile.lock.

Comments