I have a rails app, and to manage my assets I am using bower. I prefer to not use gems for assets like JS and CSS if possible.
* This is a manifest file that'll be compiled into application.css, which will include all the files
* listed below.
* Any CSS and SCSS file within this directory, lib/assets/stylesheets, vendor/assets/stylesheets,
* or vendor/assets/stylesheets of plugins, if any, can be referenced here using a relative path.
* You're free to add application-wide styles to this file and they'll appear at the top of the
* compiled file, but it's generally better to create a new file per style scope.
*= require_tree .
*= require style.scss
*= require chosen/chosen.min
*= require jquery.ui.all
*= require selectize.js/css/selectize.css
*= require selectize.js/css/selectize.bootstrap3.css
*= require font-awesome/scss/font-awesome
* Font Awesome 4.1.0 by @davegandy - http://fontawesome.io - @fontawesome
* License - http://fontawesome.io/license (Font: SIL OFL 1.1, CSS: MIT License)
$fa-font-path: "../fonts" !default;
i experienced similar issues and fixed it by using the following css file:
<link href="//netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.0.3/css/font-awesome.css" rel="stylesheet">
I can't recall what went wrong, just hope this helps.