Are there any open source libraries that support table identification & extraction?
By this I mean:
- Identify a table structure exists
- Classify the table from its contents
- Extract data from the table in a useful output format e.g. JSON / CSV etc.
I have looked through similar questions on this topic and found the following:
- PDFMiner which addresses problem 3, but it seems the user is required to specify to PDFMiner where a table structure exists for each table (correct me if I'm wrong)
- pdf-table-extract which attempts to address problem 1 but according to the To-Do list, cannot currently identify tables that are separated by whitespace. This is a problem as all tables in my PDFs are separated by whitespace!
Currently, I am thinking that I would have to spend a lot of time developing a Machine Learning solution to identify table structures from PDFs. Therefore, any alternative approaches would be more than welcome!