I have installed
$ git --version
git version 184.108.40.206
$ svn --version
svn, version 1.7.5 (r1336830)
$ git svn --version
git-svn version 220.127.116.11 (svn 1.6.17)
$ /usr/bin/svn --version
svn, version 1.6.17 (r1128011)
$ which git svn
$ echo $PATH
I did a little digging, and it looks like git-svn uses subversion's perl bindings. After a little experimentation, I found that installing an upgraded version of svn with perl enabled fixed the problem. On Mac OSX, this would go something like this:
# First, I had to take ownership of the perl libs dir, # so homebrew could create perl modules chown $USER -R /Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level # Then, remove and reinstall Subversion, but add the perl option: brew remove svn brew install --perl svn # Lastly, reinstall git (this may be optional, but it may also help.) brew remove git brew install git
Your problem boils down to the simple fact that your updated Subversion installation didn't include the accompanying perl modules, so git-svn was falling back on the more complete system installation.
For the record, symlinking /usr/bin/svn to /usr/local/bin/svn did absolutely no good. This has nothing to do with
$PATH or anything else, and everything to do with perl modules.