Robert Niestroj Robert Niestroj - 1 year ago 248
Java Question

Hibernate 4 -> 5 migration: NamingStrategy changes, Tables not found

What i want to do

I'm trying to migrate from WildFly 8.2.0 to WildFly 10.0.0 which means that i have (and want) to migrate from Hibernate 4.3 to Hibernate 5.0.


Java 8u40
Spring 4.1.9
SQL Server 2012
Wildfly 8.2.0 -> Wildfly 10.0.0
Hibernate 4.3.6 -> Hibernate 5.0.7

I have read the migration guide and i'm hit by the Naming Strategy changes. I have read many questions about this on SO, but mine seems a bit different. Hibernate complains that tables are not found:

INFO [o.h.Version] HHH000412: Hibernate Core {5.0.7.Final}
INFO [o.h.cfg.Environment] HHH000206: not found
INFO [o.h.cfg.Environment] HHH000021: Bytecode provider name : javassist
INFO [o.h.annotations.common.Version] HCANN000001: Hibernate Commons Annotations {5.0.1.Final}
INFO [o.h.dialect.Dialect] HHH000400: Using dialect: org.hibernate.dialect.SQLServerDialect
INFO [o.h.envers.boot.internal.EnversServiceImpl] Envers integration enabled? : true
INFO [o.h.validator.internal.util.Version] HV000001: Hibernate Validator 5.2.3.Final
INFO [o.h.tool.hbm2ddl.SchemaValidator] HHH000229: Running schema validator
INFO [o.h.t.s.e.i.InformationExtractorJdbcDatabaseMetaDataImpl] HHH000262: Table not found: SEC_AUTHORIZATION_RULES
INFO [o.h.t.s.e.i.InformationExtractorJdbcDatabaseMetaDataImpl] HHH000262: Table not found: SEC_USER
More tables not found ...
INFO [o.h.hql.internal.QueryTranslatorFactoryInitiator] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 62) HHH000397: Using ASTQueryTranslatorFactory

When i switched to DEBUG logging i saw for example that he is binding the entity to the correct DB table:

DEBUG [o.h.c.a.EntityBinder] Bind entity on table SEC_USER
DEBUG [o.h.c.Ejb3Column] Binding column: Ejb3Column{table=org.hibernate.mapping.Table(SEC_USER), mappingColumn=ID, insertable=true, updatable=true, unique=false}

What is odd to me is that the app works. After this
Table not found
s it does not complain that schema is not right. The app works. Selecting, inserting, updating data works.

I have hibernate configured through it's spring-orm abstraction:

@Bean(name = "myEmf")
@DependsOn({"dataSource", "flyway"})
public LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean entityManagerFactoryBean() {
LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean em = new LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean();
em.setPackagesToScan(new String[]{"**.*"});
em.setJpaVendorAdapter(new HibernateJpaVendorAdapter());
return em;

private Properties additionalProperties() {
Properties propFile = propertiesFile();
properties.setProperty("", "validate");
properties.setProperty("hibernate.dialect", "org.hibernate.dialect.SQLServer2012Dialect");
properties.setProperty("hibernate.show_sql", "false");
properties.setProperty("hibernate.format_sql", "true");
properties.setProperty("", "false");
properties.setProperty("hibernate.use_sql_comments", "false");
properties.setProperty("hibernate.implicit_naming_strategy", "legacy-jpa");
return properties;

In this correspoding entity i have table names and column names named explicitly:

@Table(name = "SEC_USER")
public class User extends BaseEntity {

@Column(name = "LOGIN", nullable = false, unique = true)
private String login;


  • How to make this table not found log messages disappear?

  • Why they are appearing if i have table names explicitly named?

  • Why is he not complainging about column names?

  • Why is he seemingly working correct?

What i have tried

  • Upgrading Spring 4.1.9 to 4.2.5 which says he has support for Hibernate 5

  • Set hibernate.implicit_naming_strategy to legacy-jpa according to this

  • Set manually the default schema and assigned the role db_owner. Note i never had to do this before with hibernate 4.
    enter image description here

  • I have debugged hibernate a bit and what i found in the that hibernate does not see the catalog (whatever this is) and schema. At leat i think he should see the schema. See screenshot below: catalog and schema are null.
    enter image description here

Answer Source

Solved this by using the newest SQL Server JDBC Driver. A had an old one from 2012. Now i downloaded and used the newest JDBC 4.2 from (sqljdbc_4.2.6420.100_enu.exe -> sqljdbc42.jar) and it started working. I could even revert the default schema changes for the SQL user.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download