I just updated to Mac OS 10.11 Sierra lately and classic web server is not working properly, or I should say that my home directory is not working
Apache server is working at localhost as I get the 'It works' page, but
'The requested URL /~myuser was not found on this server'
What worked for me after upgrading from El Capitan to Sierra as well:
1) Uncommenting from /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
LoadModule userdir_module libexec/apache2/mod_userdir.so LoadModule vhost_alias_module libexec/apache2/mod_vhost_alias.so Include /private/etc/apache2/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf Include /private/etc/apache2/extra/httpd-userdir.conf
2) Uncomment from /etc/apache2/extra/httpd-userdir.conf
3) In my /etc/apache2/users/$USERNAME.conf file I had ProxyPass configured as well, and to get it working again I had to re-uncomment the following from my httpd.conf
LoadModule proxy_module libexec/apache2/mod_proxy.so LoadModule proxy_http_module libexec/apache2/mod_proxy_http.so
4) Optional for PHP: You need to re-uncomment the following from the httpd.conf as well:
LoadModule php5_module libexec/apache2/libphp5.so
5) Of course, restart apache
sudo apachectl -k restart
Things worked for me afterwards, however I am better motivated now to start moving to Vagrant.