Samuel Bolduc Samuel Bolduc - 5 months ago 27
Android Question

Gradle build fails looking for Google Play Services in Android Studio

I'm trying to run my project in Android Studio 0.3.6, but I always get this error :

Gradle: A problem occurred configuring root project 'myapp_android'.
> Failed to notify project evaluation listener.
> Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ':_DebugCompile'.
> Could not resolve com.google.android.gms:play-services:3.1.36.
Required by:
:myapp_android:unspecified
> Could not GET 'http://maven.hq.couchbase.com/nexus/content/repositories/releases/com/google/android/gms/play-services/3.1.36/play-services-3.1.36.pom'. Received status code 503 from server: Service Temporarily Unavailable


Here is my complete
build.gradle
file :

home = System.getenv("ANDROID_HOME")

buildscript {
repositories {
mavenCentral()
}
dependencies {
classpath 'com.android.tools.build:gradle:0.5.+'
}
}
apply plugin: 'android'

repositories {
mavenCentral()
maven {
url "http://maven.hq.couchbase.com/nexus/content/repositories/releases/"
}

maven {
url "http://files.couchbase.com/maven2/"
}
}

dependencies {
compile 'com.android.support:support-v4:18.0.+'
compile 'com.android.support:appcompat-v7:18.0.+'
compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services:3.1.36'
compile 'com.couchbase.cblite:CBLite:1.0.0-beta'
compile 'com.couchbase.cblite:CBLiteEktorp:1.0.0-beta'
compile 'com.couchbase.cblite:CBLiteJavascript:1.0.0-beta'
compile fileTree(dir: 'libs', include: '*.jar')

instrumentTestCompile 'com.jayway.android.robotium:robotium-solo:4.3'
}

android {
compileSdkVersion 18
buildToolsVersion "18.1"

sourceSets {
main {
manifest.srcFile 'AndroidManifest.xml'
java.srcDirs = ['src']
resources.srcDirs = ['src']
aidl.srcDirs = ['src']
renderscript.srcDirs = ['src']
res.srcDirs = ['res']
assets.srcDirs = ['assets']
}

instrumentTest.setRoot('tests')

debug.setRoot('build-types/debug')
release.setRoot('build-types/release')
}
}

tasks.withType(Compile) {
options.encoding = 'UTF-8'
}


And finally, my SDK Manager :

Android SDK Manager

I tried with many versions of Android Studio (0.2.8, 0.2.9, 0.2.13, 0.3.2, 0.3.6) and it's always the same. I tried changing the Play Services version, I tried changing the order of the dependencies, nothing did the trick.

Is there something not correct with my setup? I looked for answers and pretty much everything I found (
build.gradle
structure, SDK missing items) was already fine...

Answer

I finally found what was the problem. @gnuf pointed me in the right direction. But the problem was that Android Studio, in Project Structure | Platform Settings | Android SDK, showed the wrong SDK. It showed the SDK it used was C:/Program Files (x86)/Android/android-studio/sdk, but in fact, I discovered it tried to build with another SDK located in C:\Users\my_username\AppData\Local\Android\android-studio\sdk.

Needless to say, it didn't work. There was nothing installed in this SDK. So I copied the contents of C:/Program Files (x86)/Android/android-studio/sdk to C:\Users\my_username\AppData\Local\Android\android-studio\sdk and it worked! My first build in three weeks.

So I think it's a bug of Android Studio. If anyone runs into this problem, make sure you only have one SDK on your computer. If you have more than one, make sure they all have the required dependencies. If you can, just copy the content of the most up to date to the others.

Comments