How can I get Datatables Server-Side Processing script to work with a custom query? I need to select columns from multiple tables and have Datatables render them.
Datatables.net's Server-Side Processing (SSP) with PHP is summarized here: https://datatables.net/examples/server_side/simple.html
I found this SO question, but the original poster never provided his solution. I don't have sufficient reputation to ask him to provide more detail.
Here is my raw SQL without using Datatable's SSP
SELECT tbl_houses.style, tbl_houses.roomCount, tbl_residents.firstName, tbl_residents.lastName
FROM tbl_houses, tbl_residents
WHERE tbl_houses.houseID = tbl_residents.residentID
* # Equivalent query using JOIN suggested by @KumarRakesh
* # Note: JOIN ... ON is a synonym for INNER JOIN ... ON
* # Using JOIN conforms to syntax spec'd by ANSI-92 http://stackoverflow.com/a/894855/946957
* SELECT tbl_houses.style, tbl_houses.roomCount, tbl_residents.firstName, tbl_residents.lastName
* FROM tbl_houses
* JOIN tbl_residents ON tbl_houses.houseID = tbl_residents.residentID
// DB table to use
$table = 'datatables_demo';
// Table's primary key
$primaryKey = 'id';
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* If you just want to use the basic configuration for DataTables with PHP
* server-side, there is no need to edit below this line.
require( 'ssp.class.php' );
SSP::simple( $_GET, $sql_details, $table, $primaryKey, $columns )
TL;DR: I ended up using a modification of the original Datatables
ssp.class.php implemented by Emran Ul Hadi: https://github.com/emran/ssp
His modification accepts JOIN, WHERE, GROUP BY and column aliases. Although the file hasn't been updated in over a year, it still works with DataTables 1.12.x. I made some modifications to his version that increases its robustness and improves the documentation with clearer examples. Eventually I hope to put in a pull-request to get these updates into his repository.