lironn lironn - 1 month ago 20
Java Question

NoClassDefFoundError while running a valid jar (compiled with dependencies) despite having commons-httpclient and httpcomponents dependencies on pom

I'm trying to automate a simple user act by using selenium webdriver from main method (not under test scope)
When running the following code from the complier it works!
But when running the jar on several cases - facing the following issue
(I'm running on Ubuntu, using java 7)

"Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/http/conn/HttpClientConnectionManager"

@Log
public class MainProgram {

public WebDriver driver = new FirefoxDriver();

public static void main(String args[]) {
// Injector injector = Guice.createInjector(new WebModule());

System.out.println("Browser will soon be opened");
MainProgram mainProgram = new MainProgram();
mainProgram.run();

}

public void run(){

driver.get("http://www.google.co.il");
WebElement lookFor = driver.findElement(By.name("q"));

if(!lookFor.isDisplayed()){
driver.close();
log.log(Level.WARNING,"Failed!");
};
driver.close();

}

}


WebDriver dependencies on pom:

<dependency>
<groupId>org.seleniumhq.selenium</groupId>
<artifactId>selenium-server</artifactId>
<version>2.42.2</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.seleniumhq.selenium</groupId>
<artifactId>selenium-java</artifactId>
<version>2.42.2</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.seleniumhq.selenium</groupId>
<artifactId>selenium-api</artifactId>
<version>2.42.2</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.seleniumhq.selenium</groupId>
<artifactId>selenium-firefox-driver</artifactId>
<version>2.42.2</version>
</dependency>

Case A

when removed -commons-httpclient - received: HttpClientConnectionManager as follows:

<!--
<dependency>
<groupId>commons-httpclient</groupId>
<artifactId>commons-httpclient</artifactId>
<version>3.1</version>
</dependency>-->

<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.httpcomponents</groupId>
<artifactId>httpclient</artifactId>
<version>4.3.4</version>
<!-- <scope>test</scope>-->
</dependency>


Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/http/conn/HttpClientConnectionManager
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.HttpCommandExecutor.<init>(HttpCommandExecutor.java:99)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.HttpCommandExecutor.<init>(HttpCommandExecutor.java:82)
at org.openqa.selenium.firefox.internal.NewProfileExtensionConnection.start(NewProfileExtensionConnection.java:77)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case B

removed both commons-httpclient + httpcomponents received HttpClientConnectionManager:

<!-- &lt;!&ndash;
<dependency>
<groupId>commons-httpclient</groupId>
<artifactId>commons-httpclient</artifactId>
<version>3.1</version>
</dependency>&ndash;&gt;

<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.httpcomponents</groupId>
<artifactId>httpclient</artifactId>
<version>4.3.4</version>
&lt;!&ndash; <scope>test</scope>&ndash;&gt;
</dependency>-->


liron@liron-Latitude-3330:~$ java -jar automatic-tests-4.0-SNAPSHOT-jar-with-dependencies.jar
Try
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/http/conn/HttpClientConnectionManager
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.HttpCommandExecutor.<init>(HttpCommandExecutor.java:99)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.HttpCommandExecutor.<init>(HttpCommandExecutor.java:82)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case C
when both were added to pom - same HttpClientConnectionManager


liron@liron-Latitude-3330:~$ java -jar automatic-tests-4.0-SNAPSHOT-jar-with-dependencies.jar
Browser will soon be opened
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/http/conn/HttpClientConnectionManager
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.HttpCommandExecutor.<init>(HttpCommandExecutor.java:99)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.HttpCommandExecutor.<init>(HttpCommandExecutor.java:82)
at org.openqa.selenium.firefox.internal.NewProfileExtensionConnection.start(NewProfileExtensionConnection.java:77)


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer

I ran into this same issue last night with my WebDriver project, and after a bit of debugging, found out that it was missing the following dependency. After adding them I didn't encounter this exception again.

   <dependency>
       <groupId>org.apache.httpcomponents</groupId>
       <artifactId>httpclient</artifactId>
       <version>4.3.5</version>
   </dependency>